About Our Bowls Club

Our bowls club is one of several in the Bexleyheath, Barnehurst, Belvedere and Erith area. We believe that we are a little different from most other bowls clubs. We consider that our social side is as important to our members as are the playing aspects. Many of our members have been members for some 30 years with a few exceeding that milestone by many years.

Whilst many of our members live in the local community, a number live over fifteen miles away. Whilst they have bowls clubs closer to where they live, they have chosen to join the Bexleyheath and Barnehurst Bowls Club family, valuing our harmony and friendly environment. The emphases is on enjoyment rather than simply winning at all costs.

Members of our Bowls Club

Find Our Bowls Club here

Bexleyheath & Barnehurst Bowls Club is situated in Russell Park Bowls Club, Long Lane, Bexleyheath, Kent DA75AR. Opposite house numbers 34-36 where the zebra crossing leads to the park and our club is situated on the right.

Car parking is permitted alongside Russell Park, in Long Lane and in the adjoining roads with no restrictions after midday in many of the adjacent roads.

Our Club's History

The club was formed in 1951 when members of St Martin Church in Barnehurst decided to form a bowls club. Initially there was a membership of just eleven, using Erith Bowling Green in Avenue Road. A Ladies Section soon followed starting in 1953.

In 1954 permission was given to use the new bowling green in Russell Park, Long Lane Bexleyheath. At this time there was no pavilion for members to use. In 1961, the club changed its name to Bexleyheath and Barnehust Bowls Club (BBBC). 

There is seemingly no knowledge regarding the opening of the first pavilion, however there is some recollections that the present pavilion opened in 1978.

The Russell Park Consortium was formed in 1992 to run the facility, comprising all the members of the then three clubs using the bowls green and with a committee formed of representatives from each of the clubs. Russell Parks Ladies, amalgamated with Bexleyheath and Barnehurst Bowls Club a few years later. Consequently, this led to the Consortium comprising Bexleyheath and Barnehurst Bowls Club along with Helio Mirror Bowls Club; these two clubs continue to jointly use the bowls green and Clubhouse. 

Various improvements to the facilities took place throughout the 1990s and moreover in 2014 a £50,000 National Lottery grant was awarded by Sports England which facilitated extensive refurbishment works to the Clubhouse. These works together with the constructions of an extension that included fully accessible access provided far better and updated facilities within the Clubhouse to the benefits of the members. 

Additionally in 2014, a group of members from both bowls clubs took over responsibility for the maintenance of the bowls green to provide a good playing surface with pleasant surrounding areas. This arrangement continues to this day.

Cookie Consent with Real Cookie Banner